What happens after all required documents are filed?
Shortly after the petition is filed, a Chapter 13 trustee is appointed and the court issues aNotice of Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Case, Meeting of Creditors & Deadlines. This notice is sent to all creditors in the case and contains the following information:
- Debtor’s name and address
- Date/time/location of the First Meeting of Creditors (also known as 341 Meeting)
- Deadline for creditor to file a proof of claim, if it appears there will be assets that can be liquidated to pay creditors.
- Deadline to file a complaint objecting to discharge or dischargeability
- Deadline to object to the property claimed as exempt
Note: Please read the notice carefully. The meeting may not be held in the courthouse, but may be held at another location.